Friday, November 9, 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation (Post #5)


Finally, the oral presentation is over! This was a long week…



As our group was the last one to present, the pressure was on us to deliver. The first two teams, Liberty and Solution Diggers, were very, very impressive. Everyone was so professional and so well prepared that we had to work hard to match their level of performance. We met numerous times within this week to prepare the slides and also to practice.We changed our presentation according to the feedback received from our peer review team and Brad. We also reviewed each other within our team to make the presentation and delivery better.

I have to say, I have never prepared so much for a presentation in my life! And I believe it paid off to some extent, for me personally, as I am not a natural public speaker. Despite of that, I guess I did an OK job. I was glad that I didn’t have to look at the slides and didn’t stammer during the presentation. However, my biggest blunder was to insist on using the keyboard for controlling the slides. As many of my peers have pointed out, standing behind the computer was a mistake as it prevents the audience from seeing the presenter. I should have placed myself where the rest of my team mates stood for presenting their parts.

Now, I have to thank my teammates for doing such a wonderful job. I knew what Gwen was going to talk about, still I found myself listening intently what she was saying because she was just so enthusiastic and fluent in her delivery. Johanna differentiated our presentation from the rest and made it a whole lot more interactive by using the whiteboard. Last but not the least, Jae was naturally so charismatic and energetic that she managed to engage the audience and end the presentation with an impact.

I think our slides were also one of our positive aspects. We were inspired by the slides we see at all the TED talk presentations. We wanted to focus on one thing at a time on each slide. However, after seeing the first two teams’ slides, we wondered if our slides were a bit too minimal because both the Solution Diggers and Liberty’s slides had a professional template and followed a conventional style. In contrast ours looked very basic. In the end though, we decided that we liked the minimalistic look more and chose to go with it. Looking back, it seems we made the right call because it seems our peers liked our presentation slides after all.

At last I would like to add the fact that this oral presentation helped me to learn how to speak in front of an audience. I was the one beginning the presentation, all the more reason for me to be nervous. Practicing really helped me in being a little less nervous because I knew what I was going to talk about. As Amy Cuddy said, “Fake it till you become it” right? Here’s hoping nobody noticed my nervousness, ha ha!



12 comments:

  1. Hi Hassan!

    Yes, don't we love our slides? Our team has you to thank for that because you were the one that started doing up your slides that way and we just followed suit!

    Slides aside, your presentation was great. I liked the pauses you incorporated into your presentation which made it sound more interesting and dynamic. You were also very clear and your content was engaging. I particularly liked the way you translated all those numbers and figures into something more digestible for the audience by using a combination of your slides AND the way you said it.

    There's no need for you to be nervous in the future. You were great yesterday and I am certain you will continue to present the way you did, no in fact I am sure you will continue to improve on today's performace and be an even greater presenter!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gwen,

      Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it!
      The improvement from mock to final oral presentation couldn't have been possible without feedback from you, Johanna and Jae. I think I can't thank you guys enough for all your hardwork and support. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Hasan,

    Just like what you and Gwen have mentioned, your slides were great! It was pretty neat and the colour combination was awesome.

    And I felt that you were successful in hiding your nervousness, which was a stark improvement from your mock presentation. You did a good job introducing the problem to us and I was engaged to listen further to your group's presentation.

    All in all, well done!

    Cheers,
    Jestina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jestina,

      Thanks a lot for commenting. I am glad to know you liked my team's presentation. Actually, all the improvements you see is a result of all the valuable feedback you and your team had provided us on the mock presentation day. That feedback was kind of a wake up call for us. Also, as I mentioned in the blog post your team's performance actually scared us into practicing more because you had raised the bar.

      Thanks again for all the support!

      Delete
  3. Hi Hasan,

    Great post, as always. It is an excellent self reflection of what happened.

    You presentation was a huge, HUGE improvement from the mock. I was very impressed by your team's presentation and most certainly too, by yours. I guess what struck me the most was how much you improved. You came across as very convincing and professional; no more dancing around, haha. And yes, the pauses were nicely executed too. The slides were just perfect in my opinion.

    Cheers,
    Hakeem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hakeem,

      Thanks for all the appreciation. It means a lot.

      I can't stress it enough how important you and your team's feedback has proven to us. We took your feedback sort of like a guide on how to improve ourselves.

      Thanks for your valuable comment!

      Delete
  4. Hi Hasan,

    Thank you for the well-written post. I was just able to view a video of your final presentation through Ramon's post. So it helped me recall your presentation. If I remember right, you had a very small role in the peer teaching presentation and therefore could not practice much of your presentation skills during that time. However, you were a lot more involved with this oral presentation and performed well. I think you answered the questions very confidently. One thing that I really liked about your presentation style was that you were very natural, and did not seem to memorize your script. You also tried to engage the audience by asking questions.

    As Brad pointed out in class, you should try to be more visible to the audience by standing away from the computer screen and controlling the slides through the wireless pointer. Overall, you did a great job with your presentation. I hope you will perform even better in your future presentations!

    Nirav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nirav,

      Thanks for your insightful comment. I am really glad that you think I did well for the presentation.

      Yes, me and Wei Song didn't have much to do during the peer teaching. Our planning was flawed back then. this time around though, I think our content was well distributed.

      I do have to confess one thing, I did prepare a script. Although I haven't recited it word by word on the presentation day, it was the basis of my presentation. I have to admit, preparing the script was a good decision for me because having it really helps you get a sense of direction and be more confident about your speech. I know you are reluctant on using scripts, but it does work for some people!

      And yes, as I mentioned on the blog post I do regret that I was standing behind the podium. It was a huge mistake. Anyway, we learn from our mistakes, right?

      Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  5. Hey Hasan!

    Great presentation! :)
    This is very good reflection post! You've covered every detail from preparation to the final execution.
    You definitely “Faked it till you became it"! You didn't seem nervous and spoke well. Your pace, eye contact and posture was good. You were very convincing and slides were great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shweta,

      Thanks a lot for commenting.

      I really appreciate your kind words. And yes, I tried my best to fake it and it seems I was somewhat successful in hiding my nervousness. A little practice goes a long way...

      Thanks again for all the positivity!

      Delete
  6. Dear Hasan,

    Thank you and Trailblazers for an exciting end to oral presentations. I had told Solution Diggers after your mock OP that I was impressed and found your topic relevant and interesting.
    I guess I will talk more about your presentation that your post particularly. I thought there was definitely a great improvement from you mock OP. I thought you were more enthusiastic and hence, more convincing. Something I find commendable about your presentation is that though it is simple it is very effective. You definitely drew our attention into the topic. Don't worry too much about your position, I personally thought it was fine from where I was sitting. So you position was no hindrance for me.
    The slides your team chose were nice and different from what we are used to seeing. You can improve yourself by engaging more with the audience by asking relevant questions or by simply changing your tone.
    You did a great job!

    Thanks
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aditi,

      Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback.

      Once again, I have to thank you and your team for providing us with all the valuable feedback on the mock presentation day. That really helped our whole team.

      I remember you saying you were blocked by my team members who were standing out. However, I think brad does have a very valid point that a presenter should not stand behind a desk. I mean there is no right or wrong here but it just seems a bit more engaging.

      Yes, there is definitely room for a lot of improvement. As you said, I also felt I could have engaged the audience more. I will definitely work on that in the future.

      Thanks again for the wonderful review!

      Delete